So this week the whole family went for a walk, with myself and Simon armed with a camera each. I also had a baby strapped to the front of me, which does not exactly make this type of photography easy; especially as I didn’t take a tripod with me and inevitably I end up scrapping round on the ground to get a better angle. Just to prove though however where there is a will there’s a way and instead of being a defeatist and thinking not to bother with having all three kids around, to just get on and do it! For once everyone was having to wait for me.
So to the photography. I haven’t managed to pin Simon down for another photography lesson yet since I photographed the Common Orchid. I had been a defeatist, waiting for the right weather, light, and an absence of a hoard of young children who just want to pick everything in sight still- all excuses. In reality there is no ‘perfect moment’, it is best to just get out there and maybe the perfect moment will unfold.
The photography was enjoyable and the result was a load of images that I had trouble to choose from- but not in a good way. OK- exposure compensation is not something I have had to worry about in the studio. The light is consistent. I have learned from this little outing that I need to check my histogram more often as the light is constantly changing out in the field. Some of the images I had taken had blown out and I tried to recover the detail in Lightroom. I thought I had succeeded to a degree. Simon took one look and said ‘what have you done?’. I insisted I hadn’t done anything and they had imported looking like that. I have since discovered the Reset button- rumbled! I can’t get anything past him.
Anyway, there was a few I liked and this was the best of the bunch I feel. Shot on a Canon 28mm – 105mm. As I was at the 105mm end- mainly due to wearing a baby, I could only get a maximum aperture of f4.5. So to help put the focus on the important part of the image I added box blur in Photoshop, then brushed a little of it off using a mask to give it a more ‘natural’ look. This is the final result. 
And below is the original file so you can see what work I did, including cloning out a distracting piece of grass!
Bee at work on Black Knapweed
Bee at work on Black Knapweed
Bee at work on Black Knapweed (Centaurea Nigra) – Yep, I know it’s bad! 😀
The flower in question is Black Knapweed. It can grow up to 1 meter in height and flowers from July to September. 

I know it is not the best, but it’s the best I could muster under the circumstances! Warts and all!